Our two physiotherapists have BSc Physiotherapy degrees and are registered with the Health Professionals Council of South Africa.We provide physiotherapy for children. We seek to make them as physically independent as possible in order to improve the quality of their lives within the limits of their impairment, disability and handicap. We provide physiotherapy for a number of children in groups or as individuals. While we serve all St. Joseph’s children, we also offer physiotherapy to out-patients referred to us via acute hospitals or clinics.
We evaluate and assess new patients and establish appropriate treatment plans for individual or groups of patients.
Our services include:
- chest physio
- improving and maintaining joint range of motion
- strengthening of weak muscles
- facilitating normal movement patterns
- correct positioning
- exercise therapy
- developmental facilitation
Children are assessed on an on-going basis to determine improvement or the need for further physiotherapy. We also assist in the education of nursing staff, patients’ families, and we provide internship opportunities for students entering the field.
The conditions we treat are:
- general chest infections and HIV related chest infections
- Cystic fibrosis
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Duchene’s muscular atrophy
- Guillian Barre Syndrome
- Juvenile Chronic Arthritis (JCA)
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- CP and Developmental delays in children
Read more about: