The late Right Rev. Bishop Hennemann spearheaded the initiative to care for these children by offering a vacant Presbytery at Philippi. The first Pallottine Missionary Sisters arrived on 23rd September 1935 and, just a few days later, the first patients were admitted – ten helpless suffering children. And so St Joseph’s Home for Chronic Invalid Children came into being. Prominent diseases among these children were surgical Tuberculosis, Cerebral Diplegia, Little’s disease, Ricketts, Spina Bifida and malnutrition.
The Home was constituted as a Charitable Institution and managed by the Pallottine Missionary Sisters. By 1941 the number of children had increased to 120. In the same year the Provincial Administration of the Cape effectively endorsed the project.
The Home was extended to accommodate 135 children. At this time formal schooling was firmly established and subsidised by the Department of Education.
The infamous Group Areas Act necessitated a move to our present site at Montana. This was because white and coloured children were then not allowed to be cared for in a designated Black residential area.
The Home was given permission to train nursing staff and opened its own Nursing school.
Schooling of the children moved out of the wards into a brand new school building built using funds donated from donors in Germany. This event coincided with the Golden Jubilee of the Pallottine Sisters.
A 25-bed ward was opened for HIV/Aids/TB infected children.
The School changed its status to a Special Needs School and opened its doors to outside learners who are chronically ill or have learning problems.
The Nursing School re-opened its doors thanks to a generous benefactor from Germany, Patrick Hoffmeier and his family.
Celebrated 75 years of dedicated service to the Community.
Opened 10 beds for Respite Care over the December holidays.